Workflowy is an online list-making / brainstorming tool. If you've brainstormed using bullet points on a Word doc, Google doc, Powerpoint, etc. Workflowy takes this idea to the next level in a surprisingly elegant way.
Writers, creatives, brainstormers, entrepreneurs, jugglers (both literal and metaphorical), I highly recommend Workflowy.
Workflowy is like an online Google doc that is stuck in bullet mode. It forces a list making linear perspective for brainstorming allowing for both linear and non-linear thought.
It does this with the ability to easily shift away from stepped bullet points, which is always annoying on every other program. Any one bullet point can be clicked on and ZOOMED, essentially creating a new document that is connected to the master list or document or workflowy, whatever you want to call it.
If the process works for you, it becomes a great tool for organizing and brainstorming. I use it in tandem with my other physical and virtual tools.
This is how I am using it...
I am using it as a daily success journal. I have created a #SuccessJournal hashtag.
- #SuccessJournal INSERT DATE
- I will then create thoughts and ideas as I normally would create lists.
- 7:00 a.m. Wake up, shower, caffeine
- I add bullet points that are assigned times. This helps me track what I am doing. I use a 20 min. timer to help me stay on task, but if I lose a block of time it’s usually because I have gone off on a tangent or taken a nap.
Additionally - I use workflowy to work on projects. For instance my book,
- #MYBOOK - I create a hashtag and then I can tangent off into working on the book idea for a time.
- #Hashtag - Write a chapter or a blog post or a book (that would be annoying) on #Hashtags.
The system uses the comfortable bullet point brainstorming format that many of us use in Word documents, Google documents, Powerpoint and hand written or printed lists. The real value comes from the ability to zoom into any bullet point and brainstorm out. Also great is the ability to hashtag categories.
Workflowy is a linear and non-linear creative system. An online bullet point based brainstorm tool similar to that of Google Docs, Word 365 or Google Keep.
Back in the day, client and Maverick Publisher John Perkins taught me that he did a lot of work using index cards. He would carry them around and write down ideas and organize his thoughts for his next books, using them for notes, contacts, etc. The tool was visual and tactile; also from an organizational perspective you can easily rearrange and move an idea around. So if you were working on a book or a paper, you can take a quote or idea and move it around in front of you. Workflowy is a similar tool.
I actively use index cards in addition to tools like Google docs, Jugglemail.com, my phone, a physical notebook and now Workflowy.
I am using it right now. As an example, I am on my laptop connected to my OnePlus 2 hotspot. My open tabs include, Google drive / docs, Workflowy, Google Hangouts, Twitter and of course our own Jugglemail.com. I also have an index card in my pocket with a list of stuff to buy at the store when I’m done.
PROS / CONS / BOTTOM LINE
- Constant brainstorming mode.
- Ability to create beat after beat, idea after idea.
- Mostly linear but is also non-linear. By simply copy and pasting elements around it's quite useful.
- #Hashtag becomes very practical once you learn how to use it.
- Non-linear perspective. Since it’s relatively one really long list, you end up with the ability to create a " Brainstorming Journal".
- Free but not free. 250 bullet items which I have gone through pretty quickly and you can buy or earn more bulleted items by sharing and referrals. Or you can just subscribe for .
- Not as common as Google Docs. Copy and pasting into another application works.
- Also there is a collaborative mode. I just have not used it yet.
- Cloud based - You can work offline with a Google doc and then sync. Not so with Workflowy
- Bottom Line: Recommended for writers, brainstormers and creatives. Try it and you may like it. I am now using workflowy as my online journal and list maker/brainstormer. I am still using Google docs in tandem with this tool and of course Jugglemail.com.
Cost: Free or Pay
Free Option - You get 250-500 bullet points a month. If you people you recommend sign up you earn an additional 250 bullet points a month.
Pay Option: $4.99 a year or $49 per year they also have a Workflowy for teams option. Workflowy for teams is a better deal but you have to sign up for 2 accounts at the same time.
Additional Notes: A couple of weird things, There is no homepage. The homepage is the application, so try it by clicking here. However, there is a Workflowy blog and you can read it by clicking here. And finally you can check out their youtube video here.
Kudos to the Workflowy marketing strategy as well. It is as elegant as the application itself. You get more bullet points by sharing the application. The application is the homepage as you may have already seen. You can either recommend it or buy it. In a new media world where we are constantly creating visuals it's nice to see a copy based marketing strategy that's working. I wish some of our own products had such a simple sales funnel.
Please use this link to sign up as I actually get more bullets.. WHOO HOO!!! Check out Workflowy by clicking here.
Written by: David Kamatoy Editor: Stephen Prendergast
David Kamatoy is a juggler literally and figuratively. A Nationally Syndicated TV/ Radio producer known for The Big Biz Show and Sully’s Biz Brew. He host’s his own show, “David Kamatoy Blog Show” a magazine style format show covering entertainment, entrepreneurship and e-marketing. He is co-founder of Kamatoy Media Group and Jugglemail.com a CRM email marketing company As an early adopter to social media he understands the long term benefits of self-branding and content creation.